Linux/Mac IPsec into Contivity?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Nov 18 13:23:24 EST 1999

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 07:55:05AM -0800, Chris Carlson wrote:
> Ken,

> Yes, the Linux Free S/WAN is IPSec.  It definately
> supports 56-bit DES, not sure about 168-bit 3-DES.

	No...  It doesn't support 56 bit DES any more.  They removed that
support after DES was broken repeatedly and proven too insecure.  They
refuse to even make it easy to put it back in (although, technically you
can do the same job with 3des where the keys are identical - the 3des/des
compatibilty mode in the cypher).  They definitely support 3des with
112 bit keys.  Don't know if they have full 3des where all three keys
are independent (168 bit keys).  The 112 bit varient, you encrypt with
the first key, decrypt with the second key, and then encrypt again with
the first key (EDE mode).  That's algorithmically equivalent to des if
both 56 bit keys are the same.  That's normally what's referred to when
someone simply mentions 3DES (the 112 bit varient, that is).

	Reference:  Applied Cryptography, 2nd ed, Bruce Schneier, pp 359

> Chris
> --
>
> --- "Chen, Ken C" <ken.c.chen at lmco.com> wrote:
> > Does the Linux client create an IPsec tunnel?

  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/vpn/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com