SyShield by Sybergen Networks, Inc.

Ken Ford Ken.Ford at sierra.com
Wed Nov 17 13:52:31 EST 1999

Another low cost security product, that I have been using at home, is called
BlackIce (www.networkice.com).  It is an Intrusion Detection/Prevention
tool, and costs less than $40.  I am impressed with what I have seen of the
product. It might surprise those that have cable modems/DSL connections how
much probing of your systems there is via that constant connection. It has 4
levels of security pre-defined, and by default locks down all TCP/UDP ports
below 1024.  It also "knows" about specific types of attacks, and will
detect/block the attack, and attempt to backtrace attackers, and can even do
a packet capture of attacks.  A pretty nice product, it is simple to use and
it's cheap.

----
Ken Ford
Network Administrator