CES 2000 b-to-b with a 3COM Netbuilder?

Little, Mike (BHS) MLittle at bhsi.com
Wed Nov 10 10:29:26 EST 1999

Hi, everyone!

I've had a recent request to setup a branch-to-branch connection between a
Nortel CES 2000 and a 3COM Netbuilder 142u.  So far, I've stood by my first
response that it isn't possible to do this, and that we would need the same
make of  equipment at both locations to do branch-to-branch.  Essentially,
they want the 3COM to establish the tunnel (IPSec, PPTP, or other) and have
5 users access our network over it. (To hit the public network, the 3COM
uses ISDN and we are using frame through a router.)  Before totally ruling
out the possibility of doing this, however, I wanted to run it by the group
in case there was something that I'm missing that might work getting these
two to talk.

I'm thinking that it's not possible, for one reason, because the different
authentication approaches that the devices take - the 3COM uses manually
configured keys to authenticate while the CES 2000 uses a pre-shared secret.

I'm just needing to confirm that there isn't any way to get this to work.
Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Little
Network Control Tech.
Baptist Healthcare System

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/vpn/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com