PPTP and Routing

Markus Hofmann markus at hofmar.de
Wed Nov 10 03:46:55 EST 1999

Hello!

Some Routing Questions:
Assume we have the follwoing network:
Internal1---InternalRouter---Internal2---PPTPRAS-Server---FW--->
<---Internet---ISP---Windows_PPTP_Client

When I use an ISP that does not support PPTP, I have to use the Microsoft
VPN Adapter. To reach the Network Internal1 I have

1) to set the "Default Gateway" through the PPTPRAS-Server in the
PPTP-Dial-Up-TCP-Properties. But if I do this, I couldn't reach my
PPTPRAS-Server for my PPTP-Tunnel, because I would need a Default Gateway
through my ISP for it. But the ISP Default Gateway incommodes with the
PPTPRAS Default Gateway. Finally this would not work...

2) Manually set a route on the client for internal1 network through the
PPTPRAS-Server. But how to do this automatically? I dont' want use static
routes (i.e. through a startup script). First I got a problem if I don't
know all my internal networks (i.e. on large sites running ospf or
something). A further problem with static routes would be, that you always
would have the routes - even if your are not comming over the
internet and you are connected to one of the internal networks (like
notebook users "road warriors")...

So my question: is there a possibility to set up routes if you connect
with pptp and to delete the routes if you disconnect? And maybe you could
administrate the routes only on the PPTPRAS-Server?

yours sincerely

M. Hofmann

Markus Hofmann          Phone:    +49 170 2848250
St. Urbanusstr. 15      Fax:      +49 9371 2032
                        E-Mail:   hofmann at hofmar.de
63927 Buergstadt        SMS-Mail: sms at hofmar.de (Only Subject)
Germany                 PGP-Keys: look at http://www.hofmar.de
         Only written with 100% recycleable electrons!

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/vpn/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com