Firewall @ remote location

Eric Henriksen eric_h at Earthlink.Net
Wed Nov 3 19:07:52 EST 1999

You may also consider one of the appliances that offer a combo firewall/vpn
gateway, terminating the inside of the vpn server in the firewall.  With
this, you can ont only fliter, but also launch user authentication.

Otherwise, you may consider running the client or vpn gateway such that all
traffic is tunneled over the vpn when it is active.  This would eliminate
the possiblity that the remote machine could get hijacked WHILE the vpn is
connected to the head end.  Access to the internet could be accommodated via
the internal side of the corporate firewall as the default gateway for the
corporate VPN server, and override the route for the vpns to go directly out
the pbulic interface.

This way, the user is able to DNS resolve and access the public internet
transparently whether the vpn is up or down, minimizing phone calls or DNS
copmlexities.  This not only plugs a security hole, but puts the
authorization and autidting back in the hands of the HQ staff, if a bit
Orwelian.  Also, if the user has a 'need for speed' they'll likely call, and
be willing to take the extra step recommended by their support people to
shutdown the vpn if they want to browse the web directly.  However, with DSL
connections and a fair (T1 or better) HQ link, they may be none the wiser.

I recommend going the extra step with the latter config and have it launch a
RADIUS/token/cert challenge for the USERs of the remote vpn gateway/client
software.  Even if you can keep the MIM (man in the middle) attacks to a
minimum, you should still not assume the identity of the remote user unless
the facility is access controlled with the same trust level as the HQ side.

Another step is to avoid statically assigning the virtual ip address to the
remote clients, as these can be gleaned from the machine when it is browsing
the web directly and used to constructy a subsequent attack when the tunnel
is up.  Instead, use a private DHCP server to offer these up dynamically
only when the tunnel is up, releasing them when the tunnel goes down.

Not all vpn servers are capable of doing this, but I can attest that
RedCreek's products can.

Eric