opportunistic routers?

Eric Vyncke evyncke at cisco.com
Wed Jun 30 12:24:42 EDT 1999

Noel,

First have a look at my email address to notice that I'm biased ;-)

Cisco routers will support dynamic configuration of IPSec tunnels
this summer. The only thing you need to be perfectly dynamic (no specific
configuration) is just a X.509 certificate per router to allow
IKE authentication, then the IPSec configuration is dynamic.

Hope this helps and does not sound too sales ;-)

-eric

At 17:33 28/06/1999 +0000, Noel Burton-Krahn wrote:

>Searching, searching...
>
>I am looking for a router which does opportunistic encryption.  That
>is, I want a router that will grab all unencrypted IP traffic and try
>to establish an encrypted connection (to another encrypting router) at
>its destination automatically without configuration.  Anyone know of
>such a thing?
>
>I've been looking at VPN solutions like IPsec, ppp-over-ssh, and
>tunnel vision.  All of these have the undesired property that I have
>to manually set up each encrypted connection, or use preshared secret
>keys between endpoints.  I would like my router to set up encrypted
>connections automatically to destinations which support encryption.
>
>This may allow anyone to drop encrypted traffic on my VPN.  That's ok
>for me; my firewall can drop unwanted traffic.  I just want anyone to
>be able to encrypt IP traffic to me.
>
>If there's nothing out there, I may write something like this myself
>(under Linux).  I anyone else working on such a beast?
>
>Thanks for any advice you can give.
>
>--Noel

Eric Vyncke
Consulting Engineer                Cisco Systems EMEA
Phone:  +32-2-778.4677             Fax:    +32-2-778.4300
E-mail: evyncke at cisco.com          Mobile: +32-75-312.458

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com