linux-ipsec: opportunistic routers?

Sandy Harris sandy.harris at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 28 17:48:49 EDT 1999

Noel Burton-Krahn wrote:

> Searching, searching...
>
> I am looking for a router which does opportunistic encryption.  That
> is, I want a router that will grab all unencrypted IP traffic and try
> to establish an encrypted connection (to another encrypting router) at
> its destination automatically without configuration.  Anyone know of
> such a thing?
>
> I've been looking at VPN solutions like IPsec, ppp-over-ssh, and
> tunnel vision.  All of these have the undesired property that I have
> to manually set up each encrypted connection, or use preshared secret
> keys between endpoints.  I would like my router to set up encrypted
> connections automatically to destinations which support encryption.
>
> This may allow anyone to drop encrypted traffic on my VPN.  That's ok
> for me; my firewall can drop unwanted traffic.  I just want anyone to
> be able to encrypt IP traffic to me.
>
> If there's nothing out there, I may write something like this myself
> (under Linux).  I anyone else working on such a beast?

That's one of the main goals of the Linux FreeS/WAN project.
See project founder's blurb on why we're doing it, either:

http://www.toad.com/swan.html

or the slightly edited version included in our docs:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~freeswan/freeswan_trees/freeswan-1.00/doc/rationale.html

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com