opportunistic routers?

Noel Burton-Krahn noel at burton-krahn.com
Mon Jun 28 13:33:59 EDT 1999

Searching, searching...

I am looking for a router which does opportunistic encryption.  That
is, I want a router that will grab all unencrypted IP traffic and try
to establish an encrypted connection (to another encrypting router) at
its destination automatically without configuration.  Anyone know of
such a thing?

I've been looking at VPN solutions like IPsec, ppp-over-ssh, and
tunnel vision.  All of these have the undesired property that I have
to manually set up each encrypted connection, or use preshared secret
keys between endpoints.  I would like my router to set up encrypted
connections automatically to destinations which support encryption.

This may allow anyone to drop encrypted traffic on my VPN.  That's ok
for me; my firewall can drop unwanted traffic.  I just want anyone to
be able to encrypt IP traffic to me.

If there's nothing out there, I may write something like this myself
(under Linux).  I anyone else working on such a beast?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

--Noel

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com