VPN Question

Jay Wack jayw at tecsec.com
Mon Jun 21 15:10:38 EDT 1999

We have been working with the DOD for the past 8 years....it has been our
experience that most of the efforts to date work well within a given
enclave.  The problems start when, in the effort to scale, more and diverse
connections are made....so far, no one has managed to get a significant,
complex network up and working using the VPN approach....

What has worked is the encryption of information at the object level, using
role-based access control attributes, embedded in the object, and
adjudicated at the client.   What you get is control of who talks to whom,
about what information, on what device.

Good luck with your efforts.

Jay Wack
TECSEC

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com