Alternate connectivity VPN..

John Nanas JohnN at review.com
Wed Jun 9 09:50:23 EDT 1999

Hi all-

Quick question, and I'll get out of your hair.

Has anyone had any experience with a low cost VPN device that has two
Ethernet interfaces?  Some of our end offices are dying to go with alternate
connectivity types such as DSL and cable modem, but I'd like to keep the
solution the same between all offices (which is impossible to do, since it
seems that every service provider seems to have his or her own
router/modem).

I figured I could get a VPN router, with two Ethernet interfaces, and put it
before the provider's modem in order to put the encryption into place (I'd
prefer IPSec).  I was looking at a Cisco 1720, but it doesn't offer two
Ethernet interfaces.  I was also looking into Cisco's 2624, but the
encryption speed is very slow (I'd never get a full T out of it - right now
they're spec'ing out 256 kb at 3-DES).

Anyone have any suggestions or good experiences they could share?

Thanks,
John Nanas
Network Systems Engineer
The Princeton Review

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com