Mac client?

Kristian Amlie s845 at ii.uib.no
Wed Jul 21 09:54:33 EDT 1999

I'm sitting at home on a Macintosh Performa 5400/160 running Mac OS 8.1.
The University of Bergen, Norway is switching from a relatively open
solution on their Wireless LAN to a VPN: PPTP. I am connected to a local
ethernet with a wireless connection to the University.

I did not see Macintosh computers mentioned on your web site. Is there a
Mac client provided? Can I use other VPN clients, like the one from
v-one: http://le.v-one.com/le/html/clients.html  ? Does Mac OS have a
built in client in some release like Win98 has?

I found a discussion on VPN systems supporting Mac clients:
http://lists.gnac.net/firewalls/mhonarc/firewalls.9811/msg00193.html
Here are some links gathered from the thread:
-
"Take a look at this URL:  http://www.timestep.com/.  They have a
firewall-independent VPN solution and their client has availability for
Macintosh."
-

www.infoexpress.com

-
"You would be well off to look at Compatible Systems
(http://www.compatible.com) as they are big into Mac clients and can
even do
tunnel Appletalk through a VPN!"
-

"SSH does have a Macintosh client.  You could setup a FreeBSD or linux
box
to be the server.
Check out www.datafellows.com for the Mac client.  It has a 30-day free
trial."

Does any of the mentioned clients, if I need one, meet my needs?

I hope my question reached the right forum, and that it is a <good>
question :-)

Best regards

Kristian Amlie

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com