TCPIP MTU settings

Robert Moskowitz rgm at icsa.net
Mon Jul 19 11:19:41 EDT 1999

At 09:36 AM 7/19/99 +0100, guy.raymakers at europe.eds.com wrote:

>The remote network (offices) have a NT server and an IPsec enabled router. The
>router encapsulates the TCP/IP packets into IPsec packets.  When using the
>default tcpip MTU ( = 1500), on the NT server,  we get problems when doing
file
>transfers. When we lower the tcpip MTU to 1444 we don't have these problems.
>The remote office ISP is a different one then our ISP.

THere is extensive discussion in the IPsec specification about potential
MTU issues (MObileIP does likewise).  You have two choices:  MTU discovery,
or static reduction of MTU to get through the tunnel.

Robert Moskowitz
ICSA, Inc.
	(248) 968-9809
Fax:	(248) 968-2824
rgm at icsa.net

There's no limit to what can be accomplished
if it doesn't matter who gets the credit

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com