not completely related but -- export issues

Robert Moskowitz rgm at icsa.net
Tue Jul 13 12:07:18 EDT 1999

At 09:31 AM 7/12/99 -0400, rich wrote:

> Just  a quick question --- I know the export issues surrounding VPN,
> but is there a good place to see how these relate to WEB servers?
>
> i.e  exporting a 128 bit page, although in the US but to customers in
> foreign countries, including places like Hong Kong, etc.

Your question is not clear.  what is a 128 bit page?  Do you mean a 128bit SSL
or TLS data stream?

There is no restriction on exporting encrypted data, only encrypting code.  So
only if your are in the business of writing web clients or servers,
Javaapplets, etc do you have to pay attention to the export laws.

> I thought this list would be one of the better ones to ask this question.
>
> thanks

Robert Moskowitz
ICSA, Inc.
        (248) 968-9809
Fax:    (248) 968-2824
rgm at icsa.net

There's no limit to what can be accomplished
if it doesn't matter who gets the credit