SecureRemote/AOL - Proprietary TCP/IP Stacks?

TC Wolsey twolsey at realtech.com
Tue Jul 13 15:11:06 EDT 1999

> <tweil at rpm.com> 07/08/99 12:34PM >>>
>Our VPN contractor has commented that CheckPoint 4.0 will not interoperate
>   with AOL's standard IP stack (for dial-in ISP clients).  Any truth to
>this story?
>   Followup question(s) -
>
>            1.  What compatability matrices exist for VPN clients using
>SecureRemote
>                  and ISP dial-up solutions?
>
>            2.   Any stories of CheckPoint and AOL in collaborative effort
>for VPN transport?
>
>|  Tim Weil                       %%
>|  InterNetwork Consultant        %%  E-mail=tweil at rpm.com         |
>|  Network Engineering Dept.      %%  http://www.rpm.com            |
>|  RPM Consulting, Inc            %%  Tel 443 259-2200 (corp)            |
>|  8830 Stanford Blvd #206        %%  Tel 202-260-6705 (on-site)   |
>|  Columbia, Maryland 21045       %%  fax 202-708-5865                 |

My experience with SecureRemote and AOL has been that it may work flawlessly in some circumstances, with caveats in others and just plain be broken sometimes. I wish that I could tell in which circumstances they were compatible, but the variables that lead to (in)compatibilty may be tied to third party software or hardware (maybe both). The last time I tried this the SecureRemote worked on one notebook, failed on another and caused a third to reset during shutdown (although the SecureRemote was able to make the connection). As of 6/11/99 the word from Checkpoint support was that SecureRemote is supported _only_ with DUN in Win95, although they would be happy to suggest a enhancement request to the product team.

--tcw

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com