Basic VPN question

Carl Swanson cswanson at tivoli.com
Fri Jul 2 15:13:01 EDT 1999

I just joined the VPN mailing list and after readng the faq
I have a question that  I was hoping to post:

Does anyone here have an implementation of VPN in place
that includes Windows 95/98/NT workstations
connected to a linux server over the internet?

I want to try and connect a small network of Windows
machines to a central linux server (within the same ISP
space, so pretty fast), and put those local machines
behind a linux firewall server. So, basically
Windows machines networked to a local linux server, then
connected via ISDN or DSL to a central linux server,
with the local linux machine acting as a firewall.

Anyone doing this?

Do I need to run the VPN client ONLY on the local
linux server, or also on each Windows machine?

Any good HOWTOs on the Windows<-> linux setup with
this stuff?

Thanks,

Carl
cswanson at io.com

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com