NT and VPN: Chicken and egg problem?

Andreas Haug ajh at THIS.NET
Wed Dec 15 05:51:21 EST 1999

First of all I'm sorry for asking such a basic question, but since nobody (read: no vendor) could point me to a solution... Anyway, here it goes:

Most Windows NT VPN products use some Program to establish the VPN. To use this program, one has to be logged into the machine. Now, what if the user has to log into the domain which is "behind" the VPN because his user credentials are stored there? He can't log in because the VPN isn't running and he can't establish the VPN because he can't log in.

The simple solution would be to (a) have NT cache the login information, which would mean to put the machine on the CN once and have the user log in, or (b) to create a local account for the user. I don't like any of them.

Sincerely puzzled,

Andreas Haug
--
HOME ajh at this.net    http://this.net/me    Phone +49 7127 972454 Fax 972451