VPN Solution

Jeffrey Needle jneedle at nortelnetworks.com
Fri Dec 3 14:25:13 EST 1999

I beg to differ strongly with some of your statements, Noam.  The Nortel
VPN product
(formerly the Bay VPN product, originally the Newoak VPN product) is not
based on
any router platform.  It was built from scratch to be a VPN product.  It
was designed to
be a security product from the beginning.  Performance has never been an
issue for the
Contivity family either.

Vikash, as for strong encryption abroad, US-based companies are allowed to use
strong encryption for their branch offices abroad, I believe.  You should
always verify
these types of questions with the proper legal authorities, of course.

A few more words on Contivity since I have the floor :-).  It is ICSA
certified and
interoperates with most everything we've come across, and certainly
everything that
has implemented to the IPsec specifications.  Due to this flexibility, if
you choose to
implement Contivity in some of your branches, you can still feel free to
choose other
platforms for other offices that might have a better "cultural" fit,
knowing that Contivity
will interoperate with it.

If you have any specific questions about Contivity, feel free to contact me.

Jeff Needle, Nortel Networks

At 09:56 AM 12/2/99 +0200, Noam Gruber wrote:
>The Cisco and Nortel VPNs are somewhat problematic, because they are
>based on router platforms which weren't build for security. As such they
>have security and low performance problems.

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/vpn/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com