Tunnel Setup Autentication

Eric Vyncke evyncke at cisco.com
Fri Aug 13 10:18:04 EDT 1999

At 13:40 10/08/1999 -0700, S Ramakrishnan wrote:

>My question pertains to setup of layer 2 tunnels (especially L2TP tunnels).
>I understand
>that after a tunnel has been setup,
>a user may dialin to a LAC and be authenticated
>by the LAC and/or the LNS using RADIUS
>or other means and creation a new session
>on that tunnel.
>
>What about tunnel setup itself?

Both ends of the tunnel, LNS and LAC, are authenticated based
on the L2TP protocol (it uses a schema similar to CHAP). This
'password' for the LNS and LAC termination points could be
stored in a RADIUS server

-eric

>What kind of authentication
>is performed during tunnel setup?
>
>Any info greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks !
>
>Rk
>

>---
>S Ramakrishnan
>"... from the sunny shores of California ..."
>rk_ at mailcity.com, (408) 616.3100

>Get your PERSONALIZED START PAGE at http://my.lycos.com

Eric Vyncke
Consulting Engineer                Cisco Systems EMEA
Phone:  +32-2-778.4677             Fax:    +32-2-778.4300
E-mail: evyncke at cisco.com          Mobile: +32-75-312.458

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com