IPSec Questions

Eric Henriksen eric at redcreek.com
Wed Aug 11 09:36:29 EDT 1999

Functionally, I agree with most of the response below.  However, It is
important to remember that running 'Mixed Mode' AH and ESP Transport will
result in double encapsulation.  Given the previous discussion on this forum
regarding the impact of 'growing' the packets with additional header,
remember the effect this has on fragmentation and inherent problem that MS
and low-speed connected platforms have in dealing with fragmentation.  Also
AH will conduct hash authentication on every packet, which may severely
limit throughput - especially for platform that so not specifically
accelerate the hash function (not just DES).

Additionally, the level of security added to the solution is unecessary
given the resources needed to brute force attack the 3DES keys to begin
with.  For example, the 168 bit key space of 3DES has 3.74e+50 key
combinations, estimated at at least an effective strength of 112 bit
contiguous key length, or 5.2e+33.  Assuming that the best effort attack by
the Electronic Frontier Foundation on a DES key, with 7.21e+16 key variants,
was about 3 hours.  Which puts the worse case strength of 3key 3DES at
7.21e+16 times the key combos, or 216,172,782,113,783,808 hours, or over 24
trillion years.  Give it 12 trillion years to average half the key space and
throw a large number of parallel processes at this and it's still unlikely
that the session would be cracked and hijacked given the present-day silicon
processor technology (possibilities with quantum mechanics aside).

AH (or even HMAC auth within ESP) is generally overkill for all but the most
paranoid.  UNLESS you need the encapsulation functionality and ESP protocols
pose some unforeseen problem.  But since the ESP tunnel mode offers
encapsulation, even with no transform (unencrpted) if desired, applications
for AH are limited.  AH/ESP mixed seems almost superfluous, unless I am
missing something.  Anyone have any ideas on this?

Otherwise, SHA-1 is slightly stronger and slower, but both provide excellent
strength hashes to authenticate the keying processes.   ISAKMP can also use
3DES to pass this authenticated key information.  Not to mention that keying
material is fairly far removed from the keys  themselves (public key
crypto), making the encrypted material not very useful even if you cold
crack it.  In short, either one should be fine in a well designed IPSec
implementation.