PPTP Port

James Douma james.douma at finisar.com
Tue Aug 10 14:29:56 EDT 1999

Here's a trivial solution that I used to solve a similar problem:

Use the ttssh (freeware) extension for TeraTerm (shareware, I think).
It will allow you to connect from a Win32 box to sshd on another box
(say, Linux).  sshd is easy to configure to use a non-standard port, and
the ttssh tool allows you to specify the outbound port in the login
dialog.  Then use ttssh's port forwarding capability to forward a local
port from the Win32 box through the ssh connection to a port accessible
to the destination box.  The whole thing can be easily set up on the Win
box so that it establishes the connection and turns on the port
forwarding when you click the ttssh icon.  Then just run whatever your
local application is (like a pop email client) and point it at the local
machine's IP address - it'll get forwarded through the ssh connection.

I use this setup to provide encrypted road warrior access to a POP
server behind a firewall, it works pretty well.