[osiris-devel] osiris-4.0 beta released
brian at shmoo.com
Wed Mar 31 08:22:36 EST 2004
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Osiris version 4.0.0-beta released
Osiris - Host Integrity Monitoring
This beta release of Osiris contains many new enhancements and fixes.
The complete ChangeLog is attached with this message.
The 4.0 release will be the result of the merging of the stable and
current branches in the code base. Out of all of the differences, the
ones I would like to bring attention to:
a) This release is NOT compatible with the 2.x or 3.x code releases.
Although this is unfortunate the benefits associated with the changes
b) Support for modules: this is a new way for developers to extend what
the scan agent monitors. See http://osiris.shmoo.com/modules for more
c) Support for AIX (thanks to Duane Dunston) and IRIX (thanks to Karen
Wieprecht). Please forward anything that looks like it needs
attention to me or the development list so we can get it fixed before
Checksums and Signatures:
Please forward any questions or comments to the Osiris mailing list:
osiris at shmoo.com, and any questions related to development to the
development list: osiris-devel at shmoo.com
Differences with version 4.0
- - Versions 2.x is NOT compatible with version 4.0.
- - new modular interface. This allows for developers to easily extend
functionality of the scan agent. See http://osiris.shmoo.com/modules
- - support for monitoring user database (module).
- - support for monitoring group database (module).
- - support for monitoring kernel extensions (module).
- - support for AIX (thanks to Duane Dunston).
- - support for IRIX (thanks to Karen Wieprecht).
- - added reg-ex to the project so that the regular expressions used with
filters as well as scan config rules will work the same on all
platforms. Thus windows scan agents and management consoles now
support regular expressions.
- - notification settings are now more configurable. On a per-host basis,
notification for the following can now be specified:
a) scheduler fails to start a scan.
b) send notification after every scan, even if no changes occured.
c) send notification when an agent has lost its session key.
d) send notification when changes are detected.
- - filters now can single out specific attribute changes to files.
the filters would be all or nothing with respect to showing what
for a specific file.
- - CLI now will dig out the config used for the trusted db and use it if
config name is specified for the config related commands.
- - all logs generated by the management console now have ID codes to make
the logs more friendly to log analysis tools. See the documentation
the online docs for logging codes, http://osiris.shmoo.com/logs
- - syslog levels: info, warn, and err are now used. The syslog facility
still configurable. The log_intensity config paramater is no more.
- - The name of the osiris user/group created during the installation can
now be specified as a configure option. The default is, "osiris".
- - The osiris root directory can now be specified as a configure option,
default is, "/usr/local/osiris".
- - logs now reveal the ID of the scan config used, in addition to the
- - The CLI now lists hosts in alphabetical order.
- - CLI now will make use of the EDITOR environment variable so you can
choose what editor to use to edit and create scan configs.
- - database format made more efficient and the records are printed in
a alphabetical order in print-db routines as well as in any logs or
notifications (new version of Berkeley DB: 4.2.52).
- - The source now builds under MinGW. As a result, the build system on
Windows is no longer the cumbersome pain that it was. The Visual
project files have all been removed, with joy.
- - new make targets: "agent" and "console" now create installation
for the scan agent and the management console that can be run from
Brian Wotring ( brian at shmoo.com )
PGP KeyID: 0x9674763D
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 8.0.3
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the osiris-devel