Forcing clients into 2.4 or 5 GHz band

Robert Senger robert.senger at lists.microscopium.de
Wed Sep 2 18:23:45 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I am running hostapd on a machine with two interfaces in dual band mode.
Both interfaces provide a number of SSIDs with different configurations
(Staff/Guest, PSK/EAP, ipv4/ipv6 etc.). For each configuration, the 2.4
GHz and 5 GHz SSID should be identical, so that users only choose SSID
and let the device choose whether it connects to 2.4 or 5 GHz wifi (if
it's dual band at all).

This works nice for almost all devices (Linux, Windows, OSX, iOS) but...
Android.

Dual band Android devices seem to have trouble when switching between
2.4 and 5 GHz too fast, as far as I can see this is related with ipv6
address configuration.

Instead of requiring the users to set their device to 2.4 or 5 GHz only,
I would like to force the clients into 5 GHz network server side.

The only way I've found to do this is to put the mac address of the
Android clients into a deny_mac_file and add this option to the 2.4 GHz
configuration file (to force them to use 5 GHz).

This is not very elegant, so I would like to ask if there is a better
way to do this.

Cheers,

Robert

--