Help debug my authentication issue? (Part 1)

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Oct 11 14:56:16 EDT 2015

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 10:58:02AM -0700, Frank Rizzo wrote:
> I'm trying to use an android tablet to connect to my Linux computer.  The
> computer is using hostapd under Ubuntu 14.04.  The username and password
> is correct on the tablet.  Along with the authentication type it's asking
> for info about.
>
> I usually opt for the "too much information" route, so here are some dumps:

It looks like hostapd is sending out EAP-Request/Identity to the
station, but does not receive any response to that. That message made it
to the station based on this:

> * Dump from wpa_cli on the tablet:
> IFNAME=wlan0 <3>Associated with <Computer MAC>
> IFNAME=wlan0 <3>CTRL-EVENT-EAP-STARTED EAP authentication started
> IFNAME=wlan0 <3>CTRL-EVENT-EAP-STATUS status='started' parameter=''
> IFNAME=wlan0 <3>Authentication with <Computer MAC> timed out.

But it is not clear what the station did here, i.e. whether it tried to
reply or not.. This would require either getting more detailed debug
information from the station (e.g., enable wpa_supplicant debugging and
check logcat if this is on Android) or a wireless sniffer capture of the
frames exchanged between the device (to check whether the station
replied with EAP-Response/Identity).