Non-DFS channel

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed Oct 7 16:14:42 EDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 06:18:13PM +0000, sunder wrote:
>  Issue :
> A 11ac card came up with wlan0.  Linux kernel 3.18 and ath10 were used.
> The country code is set, say US.
>
> If 11ac card can find APs beaconing  in the channels 5180 MHz [36], 5200 MHz [40], 5220 MHz [44],  5240 MHz [48] during its scanning using iw tool.   The NO IR will get eliminated regulatory domain setting and it can start as 11ac AP with 80MHz.
>
>  Assume, an isolated area, where there is no AP with 5GHz near vicinity.  In that case, it cannot start the network.

Assuming this WLAN card has been provisioned for world roaming and not
for a specific country (which is likely the case for station products),
this behavior is correct and expected. No user action is supposed to
allow it to set up an AP on a "no IR" channel without there being
sufficient external information to allow the constraint to be lifted.

In any case, this is not really in scope for the hostap mailing list as
this is a driver enforced constraint and something that seems to be
there by design if I understood the card configuration correctly.