[BUG] - Realtek wifi do not work with version 2.3 or 2.4 but does work on 1.0

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Mar 22 16:21:44 EDT 2015

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 08:04:57PM +0000, John wrote:
> Summary of bug: wpa_supplicant version 1.0 allow Realtek wifi USB dongles on Raspberry Pi or Raspberry Pi 2 to work correctly, but more recent versions including 2.3 and 2.4 do not work at all with this hardware.

> *On the Raspberry Pi using wpa_supplicant version 2.3:
>
> % sudo wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/example.conf
> Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
> nl80211: Driver does not support authentication/association or connect commands

This is from the nl80211 driver interface..

> *On the Raspberry Pi using wpa_supplicant version 1.0:
> % sudo  wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/example.conf
> ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Operation not permitted
>
> That ioctl warning is not fatal since the wpa_supplicant process runs just fine and I am able to use wpa_cli to configure a connection to my wireless router.

while this is from the WEXT driver interface.

In other words, this is comparing apples and oranges.. It does not look
like the driver you are using would support nl80211 properly. As such,
you may need to use driver_wext.c (-Dwext on wpa_supplicant command
line) with the newer version as well.