Getting started with HS20 r2 (OSU client/server and such?)

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Mar 16 19:04:30 EDT 2015

On 03/13/2015 11:10 AM, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 10:22:42AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>> I just found the hs20/server/hs20-osu-server.txt file..that looks like a good place
>> to start at first glance.
>>
>> And the hs20 test file seems to use it as well in some of the test cases?
>>
>> Looks like just source code in the hs20/client directory, but that
>> can be read as well :)
>
> It needs to be understand that neither the OSU server nor the client
> code is really ready for production use (i.e., useful for developer
> testing, but that's about it without significant additional effort) and
> that's also behind there being not much documentation available for them
> or high priority in addressing that. The server setup used to be pretty
> complex, but it is at least somewhat easier now with newer Apache
> version being included in distros.
>
> For client, the command line usage documentation should give a pretty
> clear idea on how it can be used as long as you are familiar with the
> Hotspot 2.0 Rel 2 specification and how the OSU protocol works. And if
> you are not, you'll have hard time getting this doing anything useful..
> :)

So, I'm digging into all of this.

First, I noticed that you need 'osu_dir' in the supplicant config file,
but it is not documented yet.  I'll send a patch when I understand this
better if no one beats me to it.

And if someone could indulge me, I have what is probably a basic
question:

I notice that I can use the 'wpa_cli -i sta0 fetch_osu'
command, and it will get some information and icons using ANQP/GAS and place them in
the configured directory.

But, nothing calls this automatically as far as I can tell.

So, what is the expected behaviour and/or interaction with wpa_supplicant
to get the OSU icons and information.  Is that something the osu client
is supposed to initiate?

I assume after I have icons and info, I can then start doing more of the
clever stuff to actually authenticate with one of the 'icons'.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>