[WAN Metrics] How to update load info

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Jun 19 10:06:04 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 03:36:31PM +0200, Adrian Moran wrote:
> # WAN Metrics
> # format: <WAN Info>:<DL Speed>:<UL Speed>:<DL Load>:<UL Load>:<LMD>
>
> According with the documentation:
>
> # Downlink Load: Current load of downlink WAN connection (scaled to
> 255 = 100%)# Uplink Load: Current load of uplink WAN connection
> (scaled to 255 = 100%)

> How could I get the current load of the AP and, which is more complex, how
> could I say, in execution time, to hostapd that the load has changed?

Please note that this is not the load of the AP, but the load of the
backbone network connection. As such, the AP itself cannot usually
determine this value (unless it happens to be integrated with that
backbone connection somehow). This would likely need to come from some
external entity that monitors the backbone connection.

This type of hostapd configuration parameters can be updated at run time
through the control interface (SET hs20_wan_metrics=<new value>).