Key-press based activation of wpa_gui and the hard-coded system tray icon

Fionn Cleary clearyf at tcd.ie
Tue Jun 16 16:46:57 EDT 2015

Ondřej Grover <ondrej.grover at gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 5:19 PM, Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi> wrote:
>>
>> I would have wanted the behavior to be such that if wpa_gui is started
>> with the same parameters as an already running instance, that already
>> running instance is brought into foreground instead of starting a new
>> process. The last time I looked at this was years ago and at that point
>> in time, some of the Qt features that would have made this easy were not
>> part of the free version, if I remember correctly. I'd hope that that
>> has changed since then, though.
>>
> This option also came to my mind, but I figured it would be very
> complicated to compare all these things and to get control of the running
> process, so some specific IPC mechanism would have to be added, so I didn't
> really consider it as a viable solution.

Just looking at this, as the wpa_gui uses Qt, by far the easiest thing
to do is that wpa_gui should just simply try to call a method on the
session dbus.  All that’s required is a single method advertised by
wpa_gui on the session dbus, when started wpa_gui calls this method, if
successful then the existing instance is raised, and if the call fails,
then there is no existing instance and that instance of wpa_gui should
place itself in the system tray.  I do lots of Qt development work in my
day job (not on the gui side though), but I’m too busy right now to do
any real coding on this, although I help with dbus and qt and so on (qt
makes it very easy to integrate dbus into an application).

Fionn