Two Access Points

Robert Senger robert.senger at lists.microscopium.de
Mon Jun 15 03:39:11 EDT 2015

Hi David,

what exactly do you mean with two access points?

If you have one single wifi card, you can simply add another ssid like
this (append this to hostapd.conf):

bss=wlan0_0  < use name of your wireless interface with _0 appended here
ssid=OtherWifi  < desired ssid of your second access point
wpa=2
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=CCMP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP
wpa_psk_file=/etc/hostapd/hostapd.psk.OtherWifi

You may configure lot of things different for the second access point,
like except the physical parameters. Everything not set here is taken
from the configuration of the first ssid.

You may need to configure the wlan0_0 device in /etc/network/interfaces
first:

allow-hotplug wlan0_0
iface wlan0_0 inet static
   address 192.168.2.251   < use your desired address/subnet here
   network 192.168.2.0
   netmask 255.255.255.0
   broadcast 192.168.2.255

Then, configure dhcp to serve both subnets.

If you get an error, your card/driver may not support multiple ssids, I
use atheros which works fine.

If you have two wifi cards, simply create a separate hostapd.conf for
the second card, e.g. hostapd2.conf, and append it space separated to
the config file parameter in /etc/default/hostapd.

Robert

Am Sonntag, den 14.06.2015, 21:17 -0400 schrieb David Dworken:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way to broadcast two access points with
> hostapd? I was trying to get it working, but couldn't get hostapd and
> udhcpd to cooperate with hosting two separate access points on two
> different subnets.
>
> Thanks,
> David Dworken

Robert Senger