802.11e support?

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Tue Jun 9 15:17:48 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 09:34:12AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> It seems a fair amount of 802.11e patches have gone in for wpa_supplicant,
> at least.
>
> Anyone know the status of this feature, especially as it pertains to
> ath9k and/or ath10k?
>
> Is 'peerkey' the only configurable related to this feature?
>
> Any ideas on how to test this feature properly?

If you are asking especially about how to test PeerKey, I would ask why
on earth would you want to test that.. Is there really someone who is
considering of using it? I've been thinking of just deleting that
implementation due to lack of any use..

PeerKey is only applicable for DLS and that is not really very widely
(if at all) supported. I would understand testing TDLS with
ath9k/ath10k, but PeerKey/DLS does not sound like something that would
be of much use without significant additional implementation effort (and
real use case to justify this in the first place)..

As far as "802.11e" is concerned, that amendment was published in 2005
and "disappeared" as a separate document with IEEE Std 802.11-2007.. If
you are referring to some specific functionality that got initially
introduced in 802.11e, it would be better to list that functionality by
name than by referring to a document that has not been part of the IEEE
802.11 standard for eight years..