Problem with the ROAM wpa_cli command and external scans.

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Jul 10 16:14:52 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 01:01:35PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> So, if external results were processed as an 'add or update but don't delete', then that might be
> OK?

It might, but I'm not see I would see sufficient justification for the
extra complexity in wpa_supplicant to support this.. In other words, I'd
need a clear use case where a normal production system would do this
frequently enough (and explanation on what that external scan trigger
is) to have a significant benefit for wpa_supplicant to accept such scan
results as well..

To be strict, even add/update can have issues in cases where the AP has
different behavior based on what information is included in the Probe
Request frame. For example, P2P use cases depend on this (different
Probe Response contents based on whether P2P IE is included in Probe
Request). And like I said, I would just rather not want to even think
about all the corner cases to figure out what needs to be done to make
this all work properly and then be stuck with maintaining that
complexity..