Maximum number of wireless clients?

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Tue Jul 7 12:38:33 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 05:18:32PM +0100, linuxthefish wrote:
> I'm designing a free WiFi access point, and would like to know what
> the typical limiting factors are for hostap in Linux ARM using a
> Raspberry PI. Using OpenWRT on a consumer router i've had over 40
> users on one hotspot, and this worked out great.

As far as hostapd is concerned, the protocol limit on Association ID is
the only real restriction (well, assuming you have sufficient memory to
store the STA entries which is not really assuming that much with modern
RAM sizes), i.e., there could be 2007 associated stations.

In other words, this question would be more applicable to a driver
specific mailing list rather than this mailing list (unless you are
talking of the Host AP driver which I'd find quite unlikely nowadays).