mix AP and wireless client

Harm Verhagen harm.verhagen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 03:45:45 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 6:51 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:

> > This gave me the idea, that if hostapd can create 'new' wlan devices. I
> > (hopefully) can configure the 2nd  wlan0_0 device as a wifi client.
>
> It depends on your hardware and driver whether this is possible.  Look
> at the output of "iw phy phy0 info", where you should see stuff like:
>
>         valid interface combinations:
>                  * #{ managed } <= 1, #{ AP } <= 1,
>                    total <= 2, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match
>                  * #{ managed } <= 2,
>                    total <= 2, #channels <= 1
>
> These lines indicate what your hardware and driver can do at the same
> time.  In this case (Intel 6250, iwldvm driver) I can do 1 AP + 1 STA,
> or 2 STA at the same time, but all must be on the same radio channel.

I got myself iw on the platform.

"iw phy phy0 info"  however does not show any  "valid interface
combinations:" section.  Should it ?

Does this mean my hardware does not support it ?  Or does it mean something
else. (wrong iw/driver/kernel version?)

$ iw --version
iw version 3.11

kernel: 3.1.10

find attached the output  of   "iw phy phy info > iw_phy_phy0_info.output"

Regards,
Harm Verhagen