wpa_supplicant credential access

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed Jan 14 19:14:45 EST 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 09:12:16AM +0100, Erich Titl wrote:
> The user can select from a a list of networks to connect to. In case of
> a matching network profile I am trying to reuse it. To give the user a
> chance to modify the password I need the original as a default value.

That is not supported by design. I would not recommend enabling such
functionality, but if you need it, you'd need to store the credentials
outside wpa_supplicant and use that external knowledge to display
information like passwords. wpa_supplicant allows the password to be
replaced or copied to another network block, but not read (ignoring the
WPS/P2P exception).