802.1x on wired switch and hostapd

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Jan 10 10:44:53 EST 2015

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 05:37:22PM +0530, Sarah Thomas wrote:
> Since , our intention is only 802.1x on a wired switch, *is using hostapd
> in wired mode*, the *optimal solution* or should we think of stripping the
> soft ap functionality from hostapd code?
>
> Is there only 802.1x mode available without softap functionality?

I'm not sure how you would define "optimal solution", so cannot comment
on that part. As far as hostapd and IEEE 802.11 AP functionality is
concerned, you can control whether that (or well, some parts of it) get
included in a build based on the hostapd/.config build parameters. For
example, if you enable only CONFIG_DRIVER_WIRED=y large parts of the
IEEE 802.11 functionality gets left out from the build.