wpa_supplicant credential access

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Jan 9 17:59:11 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 11:33:26PM +0100, Erich Titl wrote:
> I am writing a web front end to wpa_supplicant functions. IN order to
> reuse existing network stanzas I need to have access to the credentials.
> I understand that wpa_cli is restricted in yielding the credentials in
> normal operation.

What exactly would you do with the credential? If you are trying to
build another network profile with the password (etc.), you can use the
DUP_NETWORK command to make a copy of the private parameter

> Is there a way to get the credential in cleartext from a network in
> wpa_supplicant? There must be a function in the api that allows it, as
> the save_config command must do it to store the credentials in the
> config file.

No, this is rejected by design for other cases apart from WPS or P2P
where the control interface command was used to derive a new credential.