wpa supplicant auto roaming

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 13:14:28 EST 2015

On Thu, 2015-02-26 at 17:28 +1100, Sourav wrote:
> Is auto roaming currently supported by wpa_supplicant .....if so then
> what is the logic that it follows for roaming from one AP to another?
> Also is roaming between 2 APs with different SSIDs supported? Can you
> point me to the code where auto roaming is implemented in wpa_supplicant
> codebase?

A roam decision is done on every scan result event from the kernel
driver.  Those scan results can happen if the driver sends unsolicited
scan results, or if a manual scan is requested.

Additionally, you can enable the "bg_scan" functionality of the
supplicant via configuration, which will periodically perform an
automatic scan and trigger a roaming decision based on those results.

The roaming code is in events.c in the
_wpa_supplicant_event_scan_results() function near the bottom where it
calls wpas_select_network_from_last_scan().

Dan