Access Device Info from EAP Method

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Aug 2 14:11:32 EDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 12:30:11PM +0000, Pereida Garcia Cesar wrote:
> I'm new to wpa_supplicant and hostapd but I'm working on the implementation of a new EAP method. (Peer and Server)
> I need to access the MAC address and Device information from my eap_new.c but I can't find a way.
>
> How can I get this information?
>
> I was thinking maybe through the EAP state machine but I'm not sure it's possible or how to get it.

EAP methods in general do not (and probably for a good reason..) care
about the MAC address or anything lower layer information at the link
layer. As such, there has been no need for this type of information at
the EAP server/peer methods. If you really need that and cannot change
the design to not be specific to a link layer detail (EAP is supposed to
work over other link layers..), you would need to extend the EAP state
machine design and likely also the EAPOL state machine to expose such
information from the other parts of hostapd and wpa_supplicant.