Multiple-BSSID issues with hostapd

Arend van Spriel arend at broadcom.com
Fri Nov 28 04:27:29 EST 2014

Hi Jouni,

For the brcmfmac we started working on Multiple-BSSID support and came
across some issues with hostapd that are listed listed below.

BSS1 setup on netdev wlan0
BSS2 setup on netdev wlan0_0

* get_station() done on wrong netdev

observed:
Upon association of STA1 with BSS2 (wlan0_0) a get_station() is done for
STA1 with wlan0 as netdev.
expected:
get_station() for STA1 with wlan0_0 as netdev. We verified that wlan0_0
ifindex was used in NL80211_CMD_NEW_STATION event.

* cleanup of wlan0_0 not done upon terminating hostapd

observed:
Upon terminating hostapd, only change interface from AP->STA is received
for wlan0_0 and wlan0. The stop_ap is only done for BSS1. So ending up
with additional netdev, ie. wlan0_0.
expected:
following sequence seems more appropriate:
stop_ap() for BSS2
if_remove() for BSS2
stop_ap() for BSS1
if_change() AP->STA for BSS1

Do you think it makes sense to correct these scenarios according the
described expected behaviour? Maybe the behaviour is only expected by me
and there is a good reason for the current behaviour.

Regards,
Arend