[802.11r] Does not work with EAP

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Mon Nov 24 05:27:25 EST 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 09:37:31AM +0100, Adrian Moran wrote:
> The issue was not a configuration problem but a connection one. The
> interface in which I was trying to run 802.11r was not bridged with the
> ethernet interface so the APs were not able to exchange the keys (the APs
> must be reachable at MAC level). I don't know whether is possible to make
> 11r work with a not bridged interface (¿?).

Not in the current hostapd implementation for AP-to-AP communication.
And anyway, two APs being in the same mobility domain is really expected
to mean that the APs are connected to the same network in a way that
allows the station to maintain its existing IP address and I would not
really recommend breaking that assumption. If you need something that
handles faster roaming for cases where the IP address changes, you would
need something like the upcoming 802.11ai (fast initial link setup)
amendment.