Wifi Direct GO Negotiation

Anand Moon moon.linux at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 13:21:56 EDT 2014

Hi Arend,

I agree with what you said regarding the AP.

One more question: Any device with WPS capabilty can join a P2P network.

Thanks.
-Anand Moon

On Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:56 PM, Arend van Spriel <arend at broadcom.com> wrote:
On 14-05-14 05:03, Anand Moon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to add new question to this thread.
>
> If the AP has the capability to support p2p and wps, how will
> these two devices communicate with the AP.
> Will this AP become P2P group owner (P2P Go) and the other devices P2P Clients ?

I am not sure whether this scenario makes sense. P2P typically involves
two STAs. They may be connected to some AP, but if both are connected to
the same AP there may be not so much need to setup a P2P connection.

> I would like to know how to judge if the wireless interface supports P2P
> is it with the "Supported interface modes" or "Supported RX frame types" ?
>
> If the device support following p2p mode then how do we need to configure them.
>
> Supported interface modes:
>         * IBSS
>          * managed
>         * AP * AP/VLAN
>         * monitor
>         * mesh point
>         * P2P-client
>         * P2P-GO
>
> How do we configure these P2P modes for interface?
> Please share your thoughts.

Just use nl80211 API, ie. NL80211_CMD_SET_INTERFACE. wpa_supplicant is
doing that in src/drivers/driver_nl80211.c

Regards,
Arend