Setting up a RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter

Christian Lamparter chunkeey at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 9 11:18:46 EDT 2014

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Csányi Pál <csanyipal at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Sunday, March 09, 2014 01:29:30 PM Csányi Pál wrote:
> >:

> >> When I run
> >> $ sudo iw phy wlan0 info
> >>
> >> I get:
> >>
> >> command failed: No such file or directory (-2)
> >>
> >> What does it mean and what can I do now?
> > >
> > > Try:
> > >
> > > 'iw list'
> >
> > $ sudo iw list
> >
> > Wiphy phy0
> >        Band 1:
> >        Supported interface modes:
> >                 * IBSS
> >                 * managed
> >                 * monitor
> >> But, I don't think you'll be happy with the RTL8188CUS as an AP.
> >> At least the mac80211 driver doesn't generate any beacons so
> >> your best bet is to get something else.
>
> Well, I'm searching for an usb dongle that is capable for AP.

Then you'll be looking for a long long time.
But of course, if you are determined to make a change and improve the
situation, please subscribe to <linux-wireless at vger.kernel.org> and help
out.

However, this usb wireless adapter is capable for AP:

> http://www.netis-systems.com/en/Products/Wireless%20USB%20Adapters/74.html#.Uxx4-0V7GBY

Yeah... tell me how's the "AP support" so far? It's non-existent, isn't it?
And if you look on the mailing-lists, you'll see that you are not the first
person to report the exactly same thing either... But if you want to stick
to your story: Good Luck with your search!

Regards,

Christian