How to avoid duplication of icons while issuing "fetch_osu" command in latest supplicant with HS2.0 R2 support?

Sreenath S sreenats at broadcom.com
Thu Mar 6 03:47:15 EST 2014

Thanks for the update.

Regards,
Sreenath

-----Original Message-----
From: hostap-bounces at lists.shmoo.com [mailto:hostap-bounces at lists.shmoo.com] On Behalf Of Jouni Malinen
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 5:44 PM
To: hostap at lists.shmoo.com
Subject: Re: How to avoid duplication of icons while issuing "fetch_osu" command in latest supplicant with HS2.0 R2 support?

On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 05:14:50PM +0530, Sreenath S wrote:
> In the latest supplicant with HS2.0 R2 support, repeated issuing of
> "fetch_osu" command causing icons getting duplicated in "osu_dir" with
> different icon indexes. However the data in "osu-providers.txt" remains
> almost same with change only in "icon" field.
>
> Is this the expected behavior? How often the application should issue
> "fetch_osu" to have accurate information regarding OSU providers?

Yes, this is the expected behavior with the current implementation.
wpa_supplicant has no way of knowing when an external application has
completed whatever steps it may want to do based on those files and it
would probably be best for that external program to remove the
downloaded icon files once it does not need them anymore. In theory,
wpa_supplicant could do this at the same time it replaces the old
osu-providers.txt, so I guess that could be considered an alternative
approach for this. Regardless, I would consider using a temporary
directory for each fetch_osu operation to be the best practice here.

How frequently to run fetch_osu depends on the use case and UI design. I
would run it whenever there is need to provide the user an option to
signup for a new subscription. This could be based one explicit user
request or based on a state where scan results show that there are APs
around, but none of the current network blocks or credentials match and
the device is trying to establish data connection.