Default URL redirection

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Thu Jul 31 10:06:07 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 10:09:10AM -0400, Sébastien Pierre wrote:
> I would like to setup a redirection to a specific URL when a user joins an
> open WiFi network. I've tried the "network_auth_type" configuration
> parameter, but without any success.

Please note that that parameter is just making the AP provide
information about the URL in an ANQP request; it does not in any way
force the station to use or even query that information.

> but in both cases I can't access the WiFi network, nor do I see any
> request  logged on the apache2 access log.
>
> I couldn't find more information about what exactly the different modes
> (01, 02, etc) do and how the redirect URL is used.

It sounds like you are trying to force the station to go through a
captive portal. hostapd won't do that, i.e., you would need external
programs to manage firewall rules and forwarding of the first HTTP
operation to build a captive portal.