P2P: legacy devices regularly disconnect

christoph at wi-wa.net christoph at wi-wa.net
Mon Jul 7 09:47:36 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get a setup working which has both P2P and legacy clients. I use
the following configuration:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
network={
        mode=3
        disabled=2
        ssid="DIRECT-GO-test"
        frequency=5180
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        proto=RSN
        pairwise=CCMP
        psk="mysecret"
}
ap_scan=1
country=CH
device_name=device-15
device_type=6-0050F204-1
serial_number=1215
p2p_go_intent=15
p2p_go_max_inactivity=300

I then run wpa_supplicant with:

wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i wlan0 -B

and configure the P2P with:

wpa_cli -i wlan0 p2p_group_add persistent=0 freq=5180

This seemed to work at first since both P2P and legacy clients see the network
and can connect to it. I then noticed, that the legacy devices get disconnected
regularly after ~5-10 seconds and reconnect again afterwards. Running
wpa_supplicant with the "-dd" option does not reveal any activity, neither does
the syslog. If I constantly ping a connected device, it does not disconnect
though until I stop pinging.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks for any help!

P.S.:
The machine that runs the wpa_supplicant: "Linux device-15 2.6.38.8 #3 Mon Jun
24 18:00:26 CST 2013 armv5teb GNU/Linux"