Issue in network selection, when dynamically changing AP from WEP toWPA2 personal

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Mon Sep 23 04:20:55 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 09:42:42AM +0000, Klouz, AymenX wrote:
> I encountered a special issue from supplicant when it is already connected to an AP that switch dynamically from WEP to WPA.

> --> From the trace we can see that the supplicant does not make difference between the new network (WPA) and the old registered one (WEP). It tries then to reassociate for 10 times although it is not dealing with the same network. A patch that add a key mgmt mismatch flag when trying to connect to a WPA network with WEP secutiry settings would prevent such an issue. Please refer to the attached patch.

This is the way a WEP station that is not aware of WPA/WPA2 would behave
and that used to be the expected wpa_supplicant behavior with WEP
configuration. In other words, this was not really an issue but the
designed functionality.. Anyway, this was changed recently with this
commit:
http://w1.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap.git;a=commitdiff;h=86bd1410503913b719417f32457631a2ee1095ed