How can I use hostapd to support multiple bssid with usb wifi adapter?

r96921061 at ntu.edu.tw r96921061 at ntu.edu.tw
Mon Oct 7 09:43:15 EDT 2013

Hi,

I have succeed using hostapd to run multiple bssid with a pci wifi adapter.
However, I used the same config on a usb wifi adapter. The virtual
wireless interface didn't show up.

Environment:
unbuntu 12.04 with kernel 3.2,
hostapd v0.7.3
usb wifi dongle -
Vendor=0cf3 ProdID=9271 Rev=01.08
Manufacturer=ATHEROS
Product=UB93
Driver=ath9k_htc

Here is my config
interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211
ssid=Shamrock
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
macaddr_acl=0
wpa_psk_file=/etc/hostapd.psk
wps_state=2
ap_setup_locked=1
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
config_methods=label display push_button keypad
max_num_sta=256
bridge=lbr0
channel=6
wmm_enabled=0
hw_mode=g
ieee80211n=1
ht_capab=[SHORT-GI-20][DELAYED-BA][SHORT-GI-40][MAX-AMSDU-7935][HT40-]
eap_server=1
auth_algs=1
wpa=2
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_passphrase=11111111
wpa_pairwise=CCMP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP
bss=gwlan
bssid=a8:54:b2:15:99:9e
ssid=ShamrockGuest
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
max_num_sta=256
bridge=gbr
ap_isolate=1
auth_algs=1
wpa=2
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_passphrase=22222222
wpa_pairwise=CCMP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP

And after I execute "hostapd -B /etc/hostapd/hostapd-wlan0.conf"

With pci wifi adapter, I can search the ShamrockGuest and I can see
below info if I execute "brctl show"

gbr             8000.000000000000       no              gwlan
lbr0            8000.a854b215999f       no              wlan0

However, with usb wifi adapter, I can't search  the ShamrockGuest and
I also can't see the virtual wireless interface "gwlan" if I execute
"ifconfig". Besides, I see the below message if I execute "brctl show"

gbr             8000.000000000000       no
lbr0            8000.a854b215999f       no              wlan0

I'll be very grateful if anybody can give me some direction or advise.

Best Regard,
Shamrock