wpa_supplicant AP (mode=3) sample conf file block?

Colin Hill hillct at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 09:17:00 EST 2013

Hi all,
    I've been using hostAPd to allow my embedded linux deployment to
generate a hotspot in the event of no available hotspots, but it looks
like Jouni is in the process of merging the hostapd and wpa_supplicant
codebases, so I tried configuring wpa_supplicant with a network block
defining the AP mode behavior but I've had no luck finding the proper
combination of directives needed to get it to operate in this mode. The
wpa_supplicant.conf docs and sample file both indicate mode=3 is the
needed directive but I presume there are a set of other required
directives one of which I must be missing. Does anyone have a working
example config where wpa_supplicant is operating in AP mode?

My attempt at this which does NOT work was:

network={
     ssid="your_ssid"
     mode=3
     key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
     psk="your_wifi_password"
}

I presume there must be other required directives for AP mode operation
but I haven't been able to work out what they are. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Colin Hill