AP mode simultaneous dualband with one USB dongle

Drasko DRASKOVIC drasko.draskovic at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 18:45:06 EST 2013

Hi Krishna,
thanks a lot for your answer.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Krishna Chaitanya
<chaitanya.mgit at gmail.com> wrote:
> Its not possible, we need independent radio chains to do that. Its more of a
> protocol thing, where AP needs to available all the times so switching
> is not an option,

Can you please elabrate on tis a bit more - why should it be like
this? Which part and which layer of protocol you are refering to
exactly - is it phy or mac layer?

Per my opinion, and I am far from expert, phy switch should be much
faster than OFDM timing, so theoretically I see no reason that this
could not work, except some limitation in FW. That's why I'd
appreciate a lot if somebody can point us to the documents (either of
protocol or PHY electrical implementation) which shows why this is not
possible.

> where as in STA case we can do that its called
> Multi channel Concurrency using a single radio as you suggested.

Searching on the term you mentioned, first hit leads to the document
which seem to describe multi-chanel AP functioning:
http://www.cs.duke.edu/~lpcox/soroush-conext11.pdf

> But i doubt that feature is part of mac80211-ath6kl combo?

I am first trying to understand deeper how is it done, is it possible
and under which conditions - and if it is not, then why. Then I can
concentrate on concrete example.

BR,
Drasko