Possible PTK compromission after GTK rekeying

Antonio Quartulli antonio at meshcoding.com
Sat Nov 16 17:09:45 EST 2013

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 03:40:13PM +0100, Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 04:35:12PM +0200, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 04:28:47PM +0100, Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> > > I am running hostapd-20120428 on OpenWrt and it is exhibiting a strange
> > > encryption issue (I am using wpa mixed mode: WPA/WPA2).

I'd like to add that this issue happened also when the AP was configured for
WPA2 only.

Moreover, as a possible test I tried to set the ptk rekey time to 600 (the
idea was to force hostapd to recreate a PTK and set it again in the driver) but
it seems that this setting made the situation worse. Unluckily I have no real
clue of what this "worse" means because I wasn't there to check the status by
myself.

Regards,

--
Antonio Quartulli